Why Do Dogs Have Bad Breath? If you have a dog at home then it is only natural that you love showing affection to him or her and they always reciprocate with a lick on your face. However, as your puppy starts growing up, you may start to notice that his breath does not smell too good and your dogs breath might smell like fish.
Some people think that this is perfectly normal though this is not true. It is a common thing, but bad breath may be a sign of some health issues such as halitosis, kidney or liver problems. So if you notice that it is getting a little too much, make sure you take your dog to a vet.
There are a number of things that you can do yourself at home to get rid of your pooch’s bad breath.
Brush their teeth
It is not only human beings that need to brush their teeth; you can do the same for your dog too. Brushing your dog’s teeth is a great way of getting rid of plaque that is the main cause of bad breath. For you to be able to brush your pup’s teeth, it is advised that you introduce this to him early enough so that he can get used to it.
There are a number of things you need to put into consideration as follows:
- You need a special dog’s toothbrush which has soft bristles that will be gentle on his gums.
- Buy dogs’ toothpaste since human’s toothpaste is not healthy to be used by dogs.
- Make sure that you brush softly in circular motions to ensure that you do not hurt his sensitive gums.
- Give him water to rinse it out or spray some in his mouth
Parsley breath spray
Parsley is great at getting rid of any bad breath in dogs. You can sprinkle some in your dog’s food or in his treats or you can make a tea or mouth spray using the following easy steps.
- Take some fresh parsley and boil in some water till it is thoroughly boiled.
- Wait for this solution to cool then put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray this in your dog’s mouth from time to time or you can have him drink it as a tea.
We use lemons daily to help us in getting rid of bad odors, what you do not know is that they have the same effect in dogs. Lemon helps in increasing the saliva in the mouth which will wash your dog’s mouth clean while the fresh scent of lemons keeps his breath smelling sweet. Here is how to prepare lemon water for your dog:
- Soak some lemons in warm water to help in making it soft.
- Squeeze some lemon juice in your dog’s water.
- Then give him to drink as he would regular water.
These are tips that many dog owners have reported to work so if you do them right they should work for your little best friend too. Although if you try and nothing changes, this means that something is not right in your pooch so get him checked to avoid any serious issues.