Although many people often overlook oral hygiene, it is very important to your dog’s overall health.
If your dog has a toothache or painful gums, he is dealing with both stress and pain. If you leave this untreated, bacteria and germs may enter the blood stream and affect his kidney, heart, and liver.
A painful oral condition might also lead to tooth loss or infection. Although this is a very serious problem that can affect the health of your dog it can be controlled and prevented. But how can you maintain good oral hygiene? Or what can I do if my dogs breath and teeth are bad?
Assess your dog’s teeth
Once in a week with your dog looking at you closely examine his gums and teeth. Her teeth should be clean without any tartar. The gums should not show any signs of swelling.
This is among the most important things to do if my dogs teeth are bad. Some of the signs of oral health problems include:
- Loose teeth
- Bad breath
- Tumors in the gum
- Excessive drooling
Brush his teeth
Ensure that the dog gets used to the idea of brushing. If your dog is not comfortable being touched like this put a little toothpaste and then give your dog’s tooth and gums a nice massage.
You can put a small amount of toothpaste and have your dog start licking it. After he is comfortable with the technique you can begin brushing.
- Place the brush at 45 degrees inside your dog’s mouth and start brushing in a circular motion.
- Ensure that you work on one area of your dog’s mouth at a time. If need be, lift your dog’s lips.
- Do not insist on cleaning the inner surfaces of the teeth since only a small amount of tartar is found there
- Once you have mastered this technique, brush the dog’s teeth 2 to 3 times week
Give you dog good diet and water
Essentially water is a very important part of your dog’s oral health. This is because it provides fluoride that is good for oral health. Since tap water contains a higher level of fluoride, it is much more preferred.
- Ensure that you have water available
- Give your dog 2 to 3 cups of water daily
- You should avoid feeding your dog table scraps. Instead, provide treats specially made to keep the dogs teeth clean and healthy.
Benefits of ensuring that your dog’s oral hygiene is maintained
- Your dog will have fresh breath; this also makes you comfortable while handling the dog.
- Reduced pain; this is because the problem can be detected before it becomes more serious. This will significantly reduce the pain.
- Stress reduction; just like human beings, when your dog is feeling the pain he cannot be comfortable. By practicing good oral hygiene, you will significantly reduce his stress.
- Healthy teeth and gums; studies have revealed that there is a connection between oral inflammation and heart disease. Dogs suffering from unhealthy gums have higher chances of contracting other diseases.
In sum, oral care is extremely important to the health of a dog. This means you should be doing this regularly. Always ensure that this process becomes regular since the dog enjoy it so much if it is done more often. However, annual cleaning should be done by a professional. More so, a dog’s teeth are considered as the most effective weapon for the dog hence they should be handled with a lot of care. This actually what I will do if my dogs teeth are bad.